Saturday, July 31, 2010

Twilight by Stephenie Meyer

Twilight (The Twilight Saga)

Pages (Paperback): 544 pages
Publisher: Little, Brown Books for Young Readers
Released: November 1, 2008


Quick Thoughts: My friends have been asking me to read Twilight for awhile now, but I'm always wary when it comes to popular books. It's always a hit or miss and I'm always disappointed when it's a miss. Then one day, I won Twilight and decided that I had no choice now, I have to read it.

Review: The plot is fairly simplistic, girl moves in with her dad, girl meets boy, boy wants to kill her and taste her sweet sweet boy, boy stalks girl, boy watches girl when she's sleeping, girl doesn't start to sleep with a bat next to her bed, instead girl finds this amazing, girl and boy fall in love, girl finds out that boy is a vampire, girl wants to be a vampire, boy says no, bad guy comes into the picture and tries to kill girl, he doesn't and they live happily ever after.

Like I said, it's a fairly simplistic plot.

I've read that Bella is a Mary Sue and that may be the case, but what I disliked about her character was her lack of friendliness towards her friends. And once Edward shows up, it's almost as if she didn't have friends to begin with. It just didn't sit well with me. That being said, I felt like she was written well enough and sounded like a teen in love.

Edward is a creepy character, only because he admits that he watched Bella while she slept (this is before they went out), yet this is what I found fascinating about him. He's in between wanting to kill her and love her, it's interesting and he's clearly tortured about the entire ordeal. The other characters were interesting in their own right, but the book is mostly about Bella and Edward.

Final Thoughts: This surprised me and made me want to read the rest of the series. The story follows a simple plot line and it works well, the journey for Bella and Edward is an interesting one and they have me wondering what will happen next with them.

Grade: 8 out of 10

Twilight is book One in the Twilight Saga and is available in bookstores and Amazon

If you'd like to read the shorter version of this review, visit 5 Line Reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment