Monday, August 2, 2010

Maneater by Thomas Emson

Maneater

Pages (Paperback): 380 pages
Publisher: Snowbooks
Released: June 2009


Quick Thoughts: Once upon a time, I was starting to get a bit burned out from the urban fantasy genre. When you read a lot at the same time, things start to sound the same. It was during this period that I found about this book and I'm glad I did, because it's pretty awesome!

Review: Laura and her family were caught under a dangerous family feud between the Greenacres and the Templeton. Her family, the Greenacres, were all murdered when she was a child, leaving her as the only survivor. The Templetons didn't like that the Greenacres embraced their werewolf side, while the Templetons suppressed it. Many years pass, but one thing remains the same. Laura and her revenge on the Templetons.

The Templetons have changed though, after a bit from Laura one of the family members changes into a werewolf and likes his new found powers. He convinces his family to change as well and embrace it. And it isn't long for the Templetons to realize that in order to achieve their goals, they'd need to take out Laura first.

I think Laura Greenacre is my favourite female werewolf at the moment. I like how her animal side rubs off on her human one, she's very much a lone wolf and you can see that when she's human. If she's in danger, she doesn't hesitate to kill and I think that is something that a werewolf would do, especially one who grew up as a werewolf. She wants her revenge and she isn't willing to let anyone get in her way, I love it.

The Templetons are another matter. I couldn't find any reason to like them, or find something redeeming about them, which is fine since they are meant to be the villains of the book. Their motivations, however, make perfect sense. If you found out that you come from a line of werewolves, but due to your family suppressing this, your powers remained dormant, you might be a little excited when you become a werewolf. And if you start becoming power hungry, well again, it makes sense. When you have power you want to rule the world and if you come from a powerful family, that sort of feeling comes a lot easier.

Final Thoughts: I don't think this book is for everyone, but I loved my time reading this. The chapters are short, which helps keep up with the fast nature of this novel. And the book is action packed. This is a perfect book for the big screen. My only complaint, would be the overuse of the phrase, "she will eat you alive." But other than that, this is a book you don't want to miss.

Grade: 9.5 out of 10

Maneater is the first book about Laura and is available at bookstores and Amazon.


Want a smaller bite of this review, visit 5 Line Reviews for the shorter version.

No comments:

Post a Comment