Tuesday, August 10, 2010

My Little Red Book by Rachel Kauder Nalebuff

My Little Red Book
Pages (Hardcover): 240 pages
Publisher: Twelve
Released: February 26, 2009

Quick Thoughts: As someone who use to hate the idea that a female would bleed every month, I wanted to read this book so bad. Now that I'm older and wiser, I can appreciate my period a little more and even respect it.

Review: Every girl remembers their first period, you may forget some details, like the date, but you remember what happened and the situation surrounding it.When I first got mine, I remember that I was playing outside and fell down pretty hard on my bottom. When I went home that afternoon and took a trip to the washroom, I saw something that I didn't want to see. I told my mother who told me I had my period. I denied it. Then denied it some more and my mum basically had to convince me that I actually had my period. But all I remember is that I hated it!

Which is weird, because most girls want to have their periods. I remember in grade 6, girls were gushing about it, and me (who got hers at 9) was thinking that they must be crazy. I was a weird kid, but reading how the different authors experienced their first period was funny, emotional, and thought provoking. One thing that I noticed was that many of them were very mature about it, something I clearly lacked.

Final Thoughts: There was one story in the book where the author said that how you deal with your period, reflects on how you'll deal with big problems in your life. When I first read this, it made me think. I never thought of it that way. I hope it isn't the case with me, but it is an interesting theory.

My Little Red Book, is charming and it's truly unique. You don't really hear about periods, so it was nice to have a book that is so open about it. That being said, since it is a book filled with different stories, poems, and essays, it was hard for me to read it at one go. I have this problem with anthologies as well, which isn't a bad thing. I just think it starts to get a little tedious reading period story after period story in a short span of time.

There was one thing in the beginning, when Rachel was talking about how different cultures and religions deal with periods, that made me raise an eyebrow. Not because it was out there or crazy, but that the verse was taken out of context. Before I read this book, I learned about how Muslims deal with periods, so the verse used didn't really make sense to me. I understand the reason for it, but because I know what the verse meant and the reasoning behind it, it didn't really work for me.

Other than that, this was a good book. Definitely take your time reading this and enjoy it!

Grade: 8.5 out of 10

Was this review too heavy? If so then visit the lighter version at 5 Line Reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment